Tuesday, July 12, 2016

“It's just a friendly face in the hallway” - Mama Chez

My mom has always said, “Say hello to everyone.  You never know how it affects their day and if nothing else… it’s just another friendly face in the hallway”. 

My senior year of high school I received a message from a student that told me how much it meant to him that I would say hi and ask how his day is going because no one ever did.  He said his entire high school experience changed because he felt that at least there was one person who cared about him.  Wow… that hello really was making a difference. Thanks mom. I joke about it a lot, but its truly one of the best life lessons I have gotten. 

Not only has this life lesson continually re-visited me, but it has also transferred to many different experiences in my life. 

Recently, it has transferred into the gym (this will all tie together, promise).

So here’s the story…
I have never been able to do a ring dip unassisted. (Side note: Unassisted is when there is no band or person helping me). I didn’t struggle too badly with any core movements; I didn’t struggle with the jump rope, and most things with the barbell I could catch onto.  However, when it came to those ring dips… I had zero strength and ability.

It took one workout, here in California, to piss me off enough and get me into that mental state of working non-stop until I got my ring dip. Immediately following the workout, I went up to the coach begging for things to do to work on them.  He responded, “Work on your diamond pushups”.  I thought, this seems a little too simple but…OK – I can do that. And so I did. 

Two and a half weeks later… I GOT MY FIRST EVER UNASSISTED RING DIP. 
(**Happy dance**)

Here’s where it all comes together…

I think many times, people get wrapped up in either one of two things.  One, is people get wrapped up in the thought of what they can’t do and the things they can’t control.  The things that they can’t control get in the way of even doing simple things they CAN do.  It blocks their vision. The second, is that people get too overwhelmed by big end results. People get so focused on making the building look like a building when, in fact, it gets built brick-by-brick.  People seek to change the world when change often doesn’t come that big. Our goals are the same way; they are built step by step preparing us for a final result.  This is true across the board.

If you want to run a marathon, you’re not going to go run a marathon.  You’re going to spend months preparing and focusing on those shorter runs to condition for the big 26.2 miles.  If you want to backpack a 14’er, you’re going to start with simple trails and work up to it.  Or if you want to compete in a sport such as CrossFit, you’ll focus on those individual movements to prepare yourself to leave it all on the floor when it’s go time. 

I think this is the most important aspect of reaching a goal and is most often overlooked. Being able to appreciate the small things and trusting that they will make the biggest difference.  Too often, these small doings get overlooked and taken for granted because we’re too busy leaping for the finish.  We get so rushed and focused on CHANGING THE WORLD or SEEING THE COMPLETE PROJECT, that we often forget to complete the small doings and celebrate little victories.

It’s truly moving to see the impact these small doings have.  A hello a day helped a kid realize his worth, and diamond pushups gave someone strength they’ve never had.  Where are the limits to these small doings?  Nowhere – they are endless. 

So I challenge you… get out there, find room for growth in both yourself and the world around you, and give those small doings some more attention.  I think it will surprise you how far they will take you. 


I want to hear some cheering for those small victories!




2 comments:

  1. This blog posting is something that would inspire any reader. What a powerful story with great meaning behind it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog posting is something that would inspire any reader. What a powerful story with great meaning behind it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete