Friday, August 5, 2016

Thank you.

Just like that my 8 weeks in San Diego has came to an end.  Months of “I can’t wait”, “____ more days”, “I wonder ____” have now turned into “What I learned _____”, “I really enjoyed_____“ and “If there’s a job there next year______”. It seems as though in a blink of an eye, my dream summer was here and now I’m looking back at it with smiles rather than looking forward to it with nerves. 

People who know me, know I am not a very emotional person. I get hurt, I get sad, I get ecstatic but on most occasions – I can keep it contained to myself. However, things have changed a bit.  I joke about how maybe the San Diego air or water has changed something within me. However, the truth is it’s not the air, it’s not the water, nor is it the sea or sun.  Rather, it is the people who have been along for the journey.

Many times when I’m somewhere new I think about where I came from.  Not literally where, but whose helped, whose been along for the ride, and what situations got me to where I am today.  I’m not saying I take it for granted when I’m in the moment, but I find most times I think about it more when the moments gone instead of when I’m in the moment.  I can be certain I am not the only one who does this.

 I’ve made it a point to change this.  To really think about my story and journey in the moment. This summer I promised myself to soak it all in, every experience, every sunset view, every hug and truly be in each moment.  

I think I can say I was successful in doing so. On multiple occasions, I have been brought to tears in San Diego.

I had tears when I hugged my parents in the airport in Chicago, saying goodbye for the 8 weeks to come.

I had tears when I arrived and saw my sister anxiously awaiting with a huge smile at the airport.

I had tears when my friend Taylor left after 5 days of exploring, laughs, and good company.

I was brought to tears when my brother showed up at the bar and completely surprised me, to spend less than 48 hours in San Diego to celebrate my 21st.  

I had a tear in my eye as the week of the CrossFit Games ended and I reflected on what an incredible experience I had just had.

I had tears in my eyes leaving my last workout at CrossFit Society knowing how rare it is to find such amazing people like the CrossFit HQ crew, Society coaches and coach Matt and Mike.  

I was choked up hugging every person I met this summer, saying “See ya later” as I thought about everything I got to experience in San Diego because of them.

I fought back tears as I left the CrossFit office for the last time hugging Jackie, Tamar and Kyla thinking of how endlessly thankful I am for the opportunity they gave me.

And now, as I type this I have a tear in my eye because… well, why wouldn’t I?!  

I am overwhelmed. 

There is not a day that goes by that I am not reminded how incredible the people in my life are.  To name them all would take me days.

I have friends that have been with me every step of the way,  put distance aside, understood my wild spirit, and constantly reminded me of their support. I have people who have doubted me, which in return, drove me to achieve even more. I have people from high school who have recently reached out to me to congratulate me even after years of not talking. I have Kyla, Jackie, and Tamar that have been incredible mentors all summer and have taught me so much both in and out of the office.  I have coaches like Matt and Mike in San Diego that have welcomed me into their classes and watched me hit new PR’s, sharing in the excitement.  I have boxes like CrossFit 8035, and CrossFit Invalesco back home that have seen me develop and helped me reach my greater potential.  I have aunts, uncles, and cousins that have shown their endless love and encouragement for me with cards and packages in the mail.  And as for my parents, brother, and sister… well, there are no words to express how incredible they are – if you know them, you get it.

So there is the answer…
I am overwhelmed with love and support to the point of tears. (Don’t worry, this is a good thing)

All of these experiences and milestones wouldn’t be what they are if it wasn’t for being able to share them.  It just goes to show… We need each other.  We can do good things on our own, but together we can accomplish GREAT things.

I have spent an unforgettable 8 weeks here in San Diego and I have so much to be thankful for. I have met unforgettable people.  I have seen sunsets that take your breathe away.  I have eaten some of the tastiest food. I have experienced the CrossFit Games surrounded by the fittest people in the world. I have learned from amazing mentors. I have been coached by some of the best coaches in the world. And I have lived my dream for the past 8 weeks that brings me nothing but tears of happiness and overjoy.

This post is simply to say thank you. Each of you has taken part in my journey and for that, I am eternally grateful.


Time for another adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment